Piya Se Naina:Amir Khusro - A journey of different moods


Amir Khusro

Khusro was born in 1253 A.D. in Patiyala, India, His paternal ancestors belonged to the nomadic tribe of Hazaras from Transoxiana, who crossed the river Indus and migrated to India in the thirteenth century. Khusro's father served the Sultan of Delhi, Shamsuddin Il-tutmish, in a high position, and Amir Khusro was educated in theology, Persian and the Quran. From his mother who was of Hindustani origin and from his maternal grandfather he acquired both, an intimacy with the local languages as well as a rooting in the immediate cultural ambiance  When his father died when Khusro was only eight he came under the care of his maternal grandfather.


Ab'ul Hasan Yamin al-Din Khusrow (Persian: / Urdu ابوالحسن یمین‌الدین خسرو‎; Hindi: अबुल हसन यमीनुद्दीन ख़ुसरौ), better known as Amir Khusrow (or Khusrau) Dehlawi was an Indian musician, scholar and poet. He was an iconic figure in the cultural history of the Indian subcontinent. A Sufi mystic and a spiritual disciple of Nizamuddin Auliya of Delhi, Amir Khusrow was not only a notable poet but also a prolific and seminal musician. He wrote poetry primarily in Persian, but also in Hindavi. 

Main To Piya Say Naina Lada Aayi Re - 2
(I've just come after making eyes meet with my love)

Ghar Naari Kanwari Kahe So Kare 
(If the women at home call me unwed, let them/Don't care what the neighbourhood girls say)

Main To Piya Say Naina Lada Aayi Re 
(My eyes just met that of my love)

Sohni Suratiya, Mohni Muratiya,  
(A beautiful face, and an enchanting body/ his beautiful face, charming like an idol)

Haan mohni muratiya ......
(Yes an enchanting body / charming like an idol)

mohni muratiya ......
(An enchanting body... / charming like an idol)

Main To Hirday Ke Peechay Samaa Aayi Re
(I've hidden it in the depths of my heart/ I've just made a place in the bottom of his heart)

Main To Piya Say 

Ho Main To Piya Say Naina Lada Aayi Re 
(I've just returned after seeing my love)

Main To Piya Say Naina LadaAayi Re 
(I've just returned after seeing my love)

Khusrau Nijaam Ke Bali Bali Jaiye
(I give my whole life to you Nijaam/I, Khusrau, give my life to Nizamuddin in sacrifice)

Main To Anmol Chheli Kaha Aayi Re 
(Where am I the precious lover of his yet?/I've just had him call me his most favourite disciple)

Main To Piya Say Naina Lada Aayi Re 
(I've just returned after seeing my love)

Ghar Naari Kanwari Kahe So Kare 
(If the women at home call me unwed, let them/Don't care what the neighbourhood girls say)

Main To Piya Say 

Re Main To Piya Se Naina

Haan Main Toh Piya Se Naina Lada Aayi Re 
(Yes, I've just returned after seeing my love)

Main To Piya Say Naina Lada Aayi Re
(I've just returned after seeing my love)

Amman meray baba ko bhejo ri....

Dirrerent virsions of the Sufi kalam are there. They are different in presentation, they are different in Raga, they are different in mood. Enjoy:-


Piya Se Naina - Ram Sampath, Sona Mohapatra - Coke Studio @ MTV



Main To Piya Se Naina Mila Aayi Re   Singer: Shabnam Majeed

 

Main to piya se naina -Wadali bros.:



Main to piya se naina laga aayi re - Hazrat Amir Khusro - Ustad Shujaat


Main To Piya Se Naina Laga Aayi Re - Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

 


Full Sufi Song Damadam Mast Qalandar by Runa Laila 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SEX and the Indian Temples

Different Folk Songs of Assam